The Parasitology and Tropical Medicine Association of Thailand (สมาคมปรสิตวิทยาและอายุรศาสตร์เขตร้อนแห่งประเทศไทย) was founded in 1968 by several authorities in this field, such as Professor Emeritus Chamlong Harinasuta, the late Professor Emeritus Khunying Tranakchit Harinasuta, Professor Emeritus Suvajara Vajarasathira and the late Professor Emeritus Svasti Daengsvang (the first President of the PTAT). Its objectives were:
- To support and promote study and research in parasitology and tropical medicine in Thailand
- To distribute and exchange knowledge/ideas in parasitology and tropical medicine
- To cooperate and exchange knowledge with other science associations in Thailand
- To cooperate and exchange knowledge with other science associations, agencies and academic institutes in the fields of parasitology and tropical medicine in other countries
The main activities of the PTAT are:
- To publish the Journal of Tropical Medicine and Parasitology twice annually in order to disseminate current research work and findings relevant to any aspect of parasitic diseases, including other tropical diseases
- To organize two seminars a year. Since 1997, the PTAT in cooperation with the Tropical Medicine Alumni Association and the Faculty of Tropical Medicine has organized an international seminar once a year
The members of the PTAT are classified into two categories: ordinary members and honorary members.
- Ordinary members are those who study or work in the fields of parasitology and/or tropical medicine, such as medical doctors, veterinarians, scientists, nurses, technicians, including others who are approved by the Executive Board Members.
- Honorary members are experts in these fields or ones who are interested and support the PTAT either financially or by other means, and are invited by the Executive Board Members to join the PTAT.
In addition, the PTAT also invites the experts in the fields of parasitology and/or tropical medicine to be Advisory Board Members.
In the past, the PTAT was fortunate to have those with expertise in the fields of parasitology and/or tropical medicine to be the presidents of the Association, namely, the late Professor Emeritus Svasti Daengsvang, who was the first President, the late Professor Emeritus Khunying Tranakchit Harinasuta, Professor Emeritus Danai Bunnag, the late Professor Emeritus Savanat Tharavanij and Professor Emeritus Supat Sucharit.
Those who are interested to be PTAT member should contact
the Secretary General at (66-2)2469000-13 extension 1582 (email: email@example.com), or through our website.
Parasitology and Tropical Medicine Association of Thailand
420/6 Ratchawithi Rd, Rajathavee, Bangkok, THAILAND
Tel. 66-26435600, Fax 66-226435600